Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GDPR and your website

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is designed to make it easier for your users to understand what data you collect from them and how you use it. It will give your users increased control over their data. GDPR will also give users a detailed explanation of their rights as a customer and/or user on your site.

What steps have you taken – if any – to comply with these far-reaching data protection and privacy laws from the European Union?

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 6:35 PM, Player One said:

Am I wrong but doesnt this only affect websites in Europe? 

It actually has an impact on all sites that has European users/visitors which is why it's very important. Some sites have decided to basically block off European users to avoid dealing with it

• 4 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, Player One said:

But do I really need to care about this? What can they really do if I am not following their rules?

I would recommend you to first and foremost follow any laws and regulations that exist in your country. GDPR has a global reach as it applies to all websites that targets EU users and/or store information from EU users. If this isn't the case with your website or business, I don't really see any reasons for you to be worried. But I would say that following the GDPR guidelines is good practice anyway as most of it is rather good stuff that'll be beneficial to both you and your users. 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, Player One said:

But do I really need to care about this? What can they really do if I am not following their rules?

You can take the chance but if your website is being used by people living in the EU, you need to follow the rules because they can come after you no matter where you live. Obviously, they may not bother with a small site.

I would also say that by respecting your user's privacy and following GDPR and its guidelines and rules as much as possible you will build trust which is good for you and your business/website. 🙂

16 hours ago, Ash said:

Obviously, they may not bother with a small site.

True, the bigger your website is the more responsibilities you'll also have. And if I remember it correctly, @Player One use Wordpress.com which should handle most - if not all - of that GDPR stuff for him as he is using their service.