Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there anything webmasters can do against ad-blockers?

How can websites and communities survive in a world where more and more people use tools to block advertisements?

Surveys and data show that a large and increasing portion of internet users are actively blocking online advertisements using various ad-blockers. According to data from Ipsos, more than half of internet users globally block ads that are displayed on websites on their phones, tablets, or computers - either manually by actively ignoring ads or by using automatic ad blocking software.

998457005_Screenshot-2018-4-22IpsosGlobalTrends.png.b9e7650f6cb5161b111ace8886a8fc77.png

It is obvious that ad-blockers have become a real problem for website owners that rely on advertisements as their main revenue source as more than half of a website's visitors could potentially block ads.

So, what are you doing to combat or work around these ad-blockers? Or have you given up and found other forms of revenues that ad-blockers are unable to block?

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Sanjo said:

But I can and I will block people that use adblockers from visiting my site.

What tools do you use to stop people that use ad-blockers from visiting your site? And are you not afraid of losing potential users or customers?

• 2 weeks later...

Technically there are things you can do but I wouldn't recommend it. I know that some sites block you from the site until you disable it. That honestly will just push people away from the site

On 3/21/2021 at 2:24 PM, Ash said:

Technically there are things you can do but I wouldn't recommend it. I know that some sites block you from the site until you disable it. That honestly will just push people away from the site

I don't want them. They just use my server resources and give nothing in return. They are basically stealing from me. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2021 at 9:00 PM, Sanjo said:

I don't want them. They just use my server resources and give nothing in return. They are basically stealing from me. 

But they could still be beneficial to you and your site by sharing your site to other users, contributing to your site's content, and so on. 

Edited by Simon