Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does the domain name really matter anymore?

Finding that perfect domain name can be extremely difficult. But is the domain name really that important these days? And do you really need to have a traditional top-level domain name such as com, net and org?

Personally, I don’t think it is. Today there are hundreds of different and unique top-level domains and extensions for your website. You can easily find one that fits your website and niche. And people are generally more internet savvy these days and they do not care if your website has a different or strange domain name. I mean, surely people don’t remember the full address or type it into their web browser manually. They just google it. As such, your content is much more important than any site name or domain could ever be.

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

I believe domain name matters less nowadays, most of the site use totally irrelevant or domains which doesn't reflect what they do. I think users will surely be able to find their desired website using Google.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
On 7/11/2021 at 7:29 PM, JennyorAlice said:

I've had some people tell me to get a domain but I think it's more about what you site has to offer.  I believe that's more important than anything else.

This is true, content is king. But if you don't have a domain, you can't as easily move around that content and you miss a good opportunity for branding and so on. 

I guess the domain extension is less important now because there are quite a few cool and unique ones that work well. For example, my general discussion forum uses a .io extension and it looks good. No one has complained about it either which is great. 

Having a simple domain I believe matters, or a domain that makes sense. But as the extension matters it does not. I had the largest website for it's genre at the time and it was a .co (I later bought the .com of it for $300 but ended up letting it expire after a year when I realized no one still used it and instead used the .co more) it really all relates to SEO and simplicity.

• Like 1
On 7/19/2021 at 10:43 AM, Xyphien said:

Having a simple domain I believe matters, or a domain that makes sense. But as the extension matters it does not. I had the largest website for it's genre at the time and it was a .co (I later bought the .com of it for $300 but ended up letting it expire after a year when I realized no one still used it and instead used the .co more) it really all relates to SEO and simplicity.

I think it matters as well. I don't suppose it will make the site or anything like that but I believe it's important and does matter that you have a good domain name. Google's algorithm no matter how complicated does indeed pay attention to your domain name. Also the domain names age is a ranking signal as well as any keywords that may be in the domain name. So because of this it matters but at the same time it doesn't "make your site". You can just as easily do very well and completely succeed on a domain that genuinely close to your niche but isn't the top or best domain.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jason said:

I believe domain name matters less nowadays, most of the site use totally irrelevant or domains which doesn't reflect what they do. I think users will surely be able to find their desired website using Google.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Yes sites are easier to remember with a domain, but one can do just as good without one too

I believe if your site has gained some popularity and you are focusing more on expanding and building more of your brand, then you should get an actual domain. And I do find that domains that make sense to what the site is about will help in the long run. The only main exception I ever found with this was "GoDaddy". Being a website hosting platform, the name did not come off as that for me when I first found out about the hosting site. I would look at things like Bluehost or hostgator since their names imply they do hosting but GoDaddy doesn't say hosting in it but yet, that is what they do.

So really, I think it all depends on the impression you leave with your viewers because GoDaddy seems to be working quite well for a hosting company name.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:37 AM, Kokushibo said:

The only main exception I ever found with this was "GoDaddy".

Yeah, that is such a strange name for a domain and webhosting company. Does anyone know why they decided to go with that name? What does it mean? 

21 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah, that is such a strange name for a domain and webhosting company. Does anyone know why they decided to go with that name? What does it mean? 

I've been wondering that myself.

Most do not care about the domain, they see it as a URL to enter to the site and that's it 😛 Even domain extensions are pointless and wasted money unless you have a project or something worth the while. I say that you pick the name of the site, forum or blog then get the domain name as same as the site name. Even it was .com or .GG  😛 

On 7/31/2021 at 3:08 PM, Simon said:

It's because the founder was an arrogant ZZA. Trust me. I hate that company.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, GenXXanon said:

It's because the founder was an arrogant ZZA. Trust me. I hate that company.

I remember their sleazy and immature promotions. That was enough for me to never want to use their services. But maybe they've changed these days? I doubt it though.