Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do you deal with spammers?

Ugh spammers. I hate them so much.Ā šŸ¤¬Ā 

How do you deal with spam and spammers on your website? Do you have any helpful tips you want to share?Ā 

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

I had a brief period where we had a huge spam attack and it made me slightly amend our spam prevention methods. It seemed to work and it was actually pretty simple. It's a simple question that asks for the colour of an object. It seems to have stopped most of the spam.

6 hours ago, Ash said:

I had a brief period where we had a huge spam attack and it made me slightly amend our spam prevention methods.

Yeah, the attack seems to come in waves. After I've stopped one wave it calms down for a while and I start to believe I have it all under control and that the spam preventionĀ steps I've taken works. And then they come back.

6 hours ago, Ash said:

It's a simple question that asks for the colour of an object. It seems to have stopped most of the spam.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely test to add a similar security question!

On 3/22/2021 at 8:52 PM, Sanjo said:

Block visitors from Russia. It's that easy.Ā 

That seems too harsh. And I don't want to lose potential users from a whole region.Ā 

I am finding it difficult to deal with spammers, in MyBB i usually have the first 5 posts monitored and then the users can posts free without any moderation. Which helped me in cutting down spam, but now in WoltLab i need to find a way.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:18 AM, Jason said:

i usually have the first 5 posts monitored and then the users can posts free without any moderation

That is probably a good way to stop spam, but it also involves a lot of moderation and I'm afraid it will have negative effects on user engagement from new users. Sure, your existing users will see much less spam, butĀ it doesn't stop spam bots from registering accounts and it won't reduceĀ the time I spend moderating.Ā 

I totally agree with you, i had some disagreement with some users.Ā  So i am not following it anymore, different question sets, Google captcha is helping me somehow.

• 3 months later...

I have a good ole $25 add-on I bought from Ozzy that keeps them from signing up. Very rarely and occasionally they get past it and you have to fix it on your own but this is rare. It keeps almost all bots from signing up. He named it the Spamminator. But I don't let actual users spam on my forums. My moderators handle that.