Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Biggest mistake as a webmaster?

We all make mistakes now and then, but luckily, we learn from them and in the end our failures and mistakes help us become better at what we do. As a webmaster, what has been your biggest mistake ever?

For me, I think it is rushing into a new web project without doing any proper planning or preparations. One example: building an online community but switching platforms two and even three times after launch because I discovered that the software I had initially chosen for my project wasn’t compatible with what I wanted to accomplish, or it didn’t have the proper features that I later on discovered I needed. Working on new projects is fun and exciting, but you can easily get carried away and make the mistake of rushing into development and skipping that crucial (but perhaps boring) planning stage.

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

5 minutes ago, Sanjo said:

Not doing backups frequently enough. 😭

I've made that mistake multiple times in the past and I still do it lol! I really need to get into the habit of backing up my site frequently and making sure to do it manually because I honestly don't trust the automated cPanel ones.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:50 PM, Jason said:

As a webmaster i too kept switching script but the biggest mistake i did was close my Xenforo account without even thinking that i will use it later.

Ouch, now that's a lot of money just gone. 

6 hours ago, Sanjo said:

Not doing backups frequently enough. 😭

Yeah, I think we've all done that mistake more often than we'd like to admit. 

• 4 months later...

Biggest mistake to me is not promoting or sinking so much into promoting without seeing how some of the avenues actually do so you lose a ton of money with little to absolutely nothing in return. Which in doing so will hurt your wallet and your pride as the webmaster making you second guess yourself at every turn from then on and eventually lead to the downfall of the site.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:39 AM, Kokushibo said:

Biggest mistake to me is not promoting

Yeah, I feel like I'm constantly making this mistake. 😟