Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help a newbie webmaster get started

Hello I am a new "webmaster". I have been working on a Wordpress.com blog for almost a year now. I know a little HTML and some CSS but thats about it. Now I want to learn more. I have been told that I should move from Wordpress.com to a real webhost. Should I move? And how do I get started with my own website? Any tips of programs that I should use? Thank you!

Wordpress.com is good for beginners but not great. I would recommend moving over to self hosting WP as well. The best thing to do would be to find some articles online that can help direct you in every aspect of moving from Wordpress.com to a self-hosted version

It was a few years now since I worked with Wordpress, but if I remember it correctly it was pretty easy and straightforward to move a Wordpress database. Although, it could be a bit more difficult considering you're using a free Wordpress service. But if you are serious about moving, just do it! Hosting your own website or Wordpress blog will give you much more freedom to do what you want with your site. Just be prepared that you'll have to spend much more time managing both your server and site. And if you're new to all this, be sure that you pick a good webhost with a good support team. Don't choose the cheapest you can find.

Good luck! 🙂

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

• 3 months later...

First of all, I would continue to educate yourself.  Learn as much as you can. 

Second, as far as the best place to host your blog, that's up to you.  You can explore your options.  There are a bunch of places to do that.  Plus, you can always move back to Wordpress if you don't like the other places.

Yeah just make sure you move to your host with your files in tact and make a backup, like someone above mentioned. The most common mistake of newbie webmasters is losing their database or files.

I recommend 5 daily, 3 weekly, and 2 monthly retention backup schedule so it doesn't eat your space. When it reaches each number what will happen is the older backup from the last day will be deleted but the newer backups will be there.

You may want to go with a bigger EIG company that has a good support system since your new but you should have no problem finding a better host.