Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Twitter introduces Communities - what does this mean for other forums?

Twitter has announced that they will soon introduce a new feature called Communities which appears to be similar to Facebook Groups. Twitter Communities will let people create and join groups, or communities, which are based on specific interests. Despite its moderation problems, Facebook Groups has been hugely successful for Facebook. And I am sure Twitter Communities will be a hit as well among twitter users.

Twitter themselves says that Communities will make it “easier for people to form, discover, and participate in conversations that are more targeted to the relevant communities or geographies they’re interested in.”

twitter-communities.thumb.jpg.0335df488cc414af1aaa22df65cb805c.jpg

That is basically a forum. So, what does this mean for current online communities and forums?

Obviously, and just like Facebook Groups did, these new Twitter Communities will take users away from smaller, more traditional, and “alternative” online communities. But it is interesting to see how these huge social media giants are moving to introduce features that let their users participate in much smaller communities. Social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter have become so huge that it is hard for new users to get started, meet (it’s easy to find other but it's much harder to actually meet others in a meaningful way) like-minded people, and get noticed among the countless of other users and noise.

And I believe this is where smaller online communities and forums have a chance at surviving as they offer a more friendly atmosphere where users can actually make their voice heard among other like-minded people while engaging in more meaningful discussions.

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how well they do but I do think forums will be fine overall. Forums still offer anonymity and more of a sense of community which is beneficial to many

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:32 PM, Ash said:

Forums still offer anonymity

That's so true! Posting party images on a forum using an online nickname won't damage your future job prospects, for example.

"Even if everyone agrees, everyone can be wrong."

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:32 PM, Ash said:

It will be interesting to see how well they do but I do think forums will be fine overall. Forums still offer anonymity and more of a sense of community which is beneficial to many

I agree. Plus, Twitter has a super strict character limitations of how long your posts can be.